By: Diane Benjamin
It’s time to review Tari Renner’s history as Mayor:
- Tari is the only mayor in Bloomington’s history censured for his foul language on this site. See the comments to this story: https://blnnews.com/2015/02/10/does-tari-know-that-judy-isnt-running/
- Tari has an extensive history of attacking anyone who doesn’t agree with him – especially women. See this story for a partial list: https://blnnews.com/2015/02/15/freedom-of-speech-matters-just-not-to-tari/
- Tari has been found guilty by the Attorney General’s Office of Two Open Meeting Act violations involving Executive Sessions (Secret meetings of the Council). The audio of both meetings were ordered released but haven’t been. (Judy Stearns and MetroZone) More violations could easily exist, but since the Council decides not to release minutes – citizens will never know.
- The Public Comment policy was changed at a meeting Tari didn’t attend. He opposed increasing the length to allow citizens to speak. It was expanded to 30 minutes after the previous policy was ruled illegal.
- Over 200 signatures were thrown of his nominating petitions for reelection because they were not properly completed. https://blnnews.com/2016/12/17/wjbc-please-stop-the-fake-news/
- A supporter of Tari’s was banned from registering voters after he post a video – and Tari copied it to his Facebook page – of him illegally registering voters while handing out Renner campaign signs. Renner even thanked him for his illegal activity! https://blnnews.com/2017/02/22/illegal-unethical/
- Tari vacationed (business trip) in Cuba at taxpayer expense last summer: $2,783 which doesn’t include airfare. https://blnnews.com/2017/08/01/how-much-did-cuba-cost-you-2/
- Tari is vacationing (business trip) in Japan at taxpayer expense now: At least $3,631 for him and his girlfriend. The City hasn’t rushed to answer FOIA requests for proof she paid the City back, so any claims she did are immaterial.
- Tari announced at a Council meeting shortly after his first election that artwork in his City office was for sale – a new Art Gallery! Jason Chambers refused to prosecute, even though some of the art was by campaign contributors and it’s illegal to sell anything for private citizens from a government office: https://blnnews.com/2014/05/05/pay-to-play-okay-if-nobody-prosecutes/
- Tari dumped $1.4 million (taxpayer money) in a property on North Main. It was bought from guys who later donated to his campaign and was arranged by his eventual campaign treasurer: https://blnnews.com/2017/02/21/renners-ethics/ His plans for the property are a secret.
Laws and ethics are immaterial to Tari. He is the perfect example of why corruption is rampant in Illinois – people like him can get away with doing anything they want. Some Council members are already justifying his actions – just like some did before citizens demanded consequences to his actions back in 2015.
The State Police need to know your feelings. Nothing will happen to Tari is citizens don’t demand it, laws are for us, not the powerful.
if citizens expect their elected officials to have integrity – they need to elect people who have it.
The Edgar County Watchdogs published another story this morning with the entire timeline – a Must Read: http://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/2017/08/bloomingtons-mayor-renner-and-co-circling-the-wagons-and-making-up-excuses/