By: Diane Benjamin
Budget Task Force report:
- 4 meeting focused on cuts
- 1 meeting focused on Revenue
The ONLY cuts discussed were cuts that have been discussed for YEARS:
- Make schools pay for the Resource Officer
- Make downtown pay for the Police Hire Back program – David Hales was charged with doing this years ago. Since he CAN’T make a decision – nothing has been done.
- Solid Waste – How many years is this going to be on the table? Why aren’t the new trucks and cans cutting the costs? David? How many MILLIONS did you spend David?
- Golf – Sell, raise fees, outsource management
- BCPA – sell it, cut funds,
4 meetings on cuts and they didn’t have an original thought in the group?
They discussed creating a Park District. ABSOLUTELY the WORST idea EVER! More bureaucracy, more government agencies that need citizen oversight, more accountants, more more more. Park Districts all over Illinois have been caught scamming citizens – see the Edgar County Watchdogs website! Illinois has MANY more government agencies than any other State. This is merely a way to levy another tax against citizens while not cutting what the City already takes.
One glaring statement that Renner and Hales will ignore:
No new Revenue for New Programs
Tari, are the Master Plans considered new programs? You forced the Council to approve plans while telling them “it’s only a plan”. Then magically, flamingos must be funded because the plan said we would. Is that why your projections for the future are Millions and Millions of Dollars more every year?
The Budget Tax Force only spent one meeting on Revenue, but most of the recommendations are Revenue!
- Raise garbage fees
- Pay for the services you consume (even though they used to be included in taxes you already pay)
- New sales tax
- Raise licenses/fees
Tari led applause for the HARD work done by the Budget Tax Force. 9 meetings without an original thought from the group. Maybe David Hales in attendance and directing conversations kept them from difficult decisions. He keeps everybody else from making decisions!
Get some participation trophies Tari. Just like the team that came in last place, hand out meaningless statues (of you?) so their feeling aren’t hurt.
More on last night’s meeting next.