Is it an employment farm, or a medical system?
Open The Books Investigation:
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care System
Phoenix, AZ | May 15, 2014
Salary data at OpenTheBooks.com shows clear evidence that the
bureaucracy served the bureaucracy, not veterans…
“Our nation’s veterans need access to health care and doctors, not interior decorators and designers. I’m proud of the work
ordinary citizens and groups like Open the Books
are doing to hold the VA accountable.”
U.S. Senator Tom Coburn | May 15, 2014
BREAKING NATIONAL NEWS:
Staff At Phoenix VA Pocketed Hefty Bonuses & Salaries
Forty plus veterans may have died waiting for care, and up to 1,400 veterans waited months for critical appointments.
It’s alleged that the Phoenix VA ran a secret waiting list and key records were destroyed. CNN broke the scandal and it’s been rocking Washington, D.C. in recent weeks.
- Top 100 Employees made $70 Million in salaries (2011-2013)
- #1 Bonus 2013 – Phoenix VA Director Sharon Helman- $9,345
- 59% of Salaries Spent on Admin/Operations- not Medical Care
- Only 1 Employee of 3,170 with Job Title of Quality Assurance
- Millions Spent on Gardening, Public Affairs, Interior Decorating, Architecture
Top 100 Doctor/Executive Corps made $70 million in salary (2011-2013).None of them blew the whistle on the corruption. Is it incompetence or the perverse incentive of too much pay? Review Salary Database
BIG BONUS TO DIRECTOR:
In 2013, Director Sharon Helman received the #1 bonus out of 3,170 employees: $9,345! The next highest award was $5,000, followed by $3,975. 300 employees received less than $500. (Helman was recently placed on administrative leave.
) Review 2013 Phoenix VA Bonuses
1. 59% of all Phoenix VA salaries were spent on management, administration, or operations functions– not on veterans care.
Review Salary Breakout
2. A patronage jobs pool- outside of medical care: only 226 medical officers (doctors) and 576 nurses were employed by Phoenix VA out of 3,170 employees.
3. More money spent on Gardeners, Interior Decorators, Architecture, Public Affairs, and other non-essentials- than for Quality Assurance.Review Total Salaries by Job Title
Background: OpenTheBooks.com via Freedom of Information Act request from Office of Personnel Management, Washington, D.C. We post online 1 billion lines of Federal, State and Local spending.
Learn more at: www.openthebooks.com.
Click above and see all Phoenix VA salaries.
American Transparency | Chairman
One thought on “Veterans Admin – What Open the Books found”
Why should an organization like this bother with functions like Quality and Productivity? They are so boring! Bring back Demming and Juran.