By: Diane Benjamin
Since a white women can now pretend she is black, and a guy can pretend he is a woman and he/she get an award for bravery, and all of us are supposed to approve and keep our mouths shut:
Today I’m pretending to be the Mayor of Bloomington!
Here’s what I’m going to do with my pen and my phone: (not in any particular order)
- End funding for the Downtown Bloomington Association. The DBA were supposed to fund its self years ago. Downtown businesses will NEVER join and pay dues as long as taxpayers pay it for them. If they don’t join, the DBA must not be important.
- Only entertain proposals for development downtown if public money is not involved
- End painting bike paths on major roads where cars and cyclists are both put in danger
- End the relationship with the McLean County Regional Planning Commission. They get grants from both State and Federal sources for local use. Local government must then bow to the wishes of the grantors. Local government must be local, not federalized.
- Cut the City’s admin budget back to 2010 levels.
- Fire David Hales
- End travel to all conferences for Mayor, City Council, and City Manager
- Review travel for all other employees
- End all taxpayer-funded lunches and dinners. If meetings are required, use an office
- End small group Council member meetings with mayor and city manager since they usurp the Open Meetings Act
- Review PCard policy – way too many people have one
- Fire Coliseum Management and hire a company that manages multiple arenas. Create a contract that favors taxpayers.
- Repeal all tax increases passed last year
- Freeze all salary increases for City employees until the private sector has comparable salaries and benefits
- End banking sick days paid at retirement
- Require downtown bar owners to fund security themselves instead of taxpayers
- Eliminate the Communications position
- Inventory all City properties and dispose of all that aren’t being used
- End the library’s expansion plans
- Change the public comment ordinance to unlimited instead of 15 minutes. People wouldn’t come to meetings if they were happy with the direction of the City. They deserve to be heard.
- Change the abandoned building ordinance to allow seizure and sale by the City
- Fix the roads
- End funding for the BCPA – force them to fund themselves or hire a company who knows how (combine BCPA and Coliseum?)
- End the City’s entertainment mentality
- End Council “lite suppers”. Brown bag it!
- Hire a City lawyer instead of outsourcing. Ending much of what the City is currently involved in would end, therefore legal expenses would be minimized
- Inform the Council they are NOT a board of directors. They are elected to represent people, not the City
- Garner signatures to end Home Rule so property tax increases must be approved by the people paying the bills
- Order the Clerk to include speaker names and topics in the minutes of every meeting
- Live stream all meetings
- Work to improve the City’s AA- credit rating. It should be unacceptable.
These are only a start. Bloomington must be returned to the citizens, taxpayers can’t afford to fund a playground for elected officials.
Feel free to add to the list.
My tenor as Mayor ends tonight, and no I’m not moving to Bloomington to run for office.
People who believe Rachel is black and Bruce is a woman are delusional. What are the odds most of your elected officials disagree?
One more: Ban political correctness