Here’s another article to consider: http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2015/12/climate-change-and-the-lessons-of-a-winter-storm.html
I few days ago a banned person left a comment about climate change to this story: https://blnnews.com/2015/12/26/vogel-you-make-my-writing-sooooo-easy/
This person has the honor of being the only person I have banned from commenting. The IP address isn’t local, so I don’t take her seriously. I banned her because having an intelligent discussion is impossible. She does provide good material for a post however, so below is what she said and a common sense response. I asked Jeff Strange to respond since I know he has extensively researched the facts. Real facts matter since government is spending YOUR money.
Note: Anybody who starts an argument with “the science is settled” is only spouting talking points told to them. Science is never settled! It constantly changes or we would still believe the earth is flat.
Just for fun, compare her talking points to the latest put out by the Democrat party: globalwarmingguide
Evidently “climate change” has once again been replaced by “global warming”.
You can decide who makes more sense.
1. The essential findings of mainstream climate change science are firm. This is solid settled science. The world is warming. There are many kinds of evidence: air temperatures, ocean temperatures, melting ice, rising sea levels, and much more. Human activities are the main cause. The warming is not natural. It is not due to the sun, for example. We know this because we can measure the effect of man-made carbon dioxide and it is much stronger than that of the sun, which we also measure.
1. Climate Change Science is a relatively new field that is still trying to find its way. The science is not settled. The earth is 4.6 billion years old and has been much hotter and colder than now. The earth had been slightly warming from 1850 to 1987. However, according to NASA’s remote sensory satellites the warming has “PAUSED” for the last 19 years. Are humans the driving force behind global warming or just a small contributor with Mother Nature being the root cause and with increased CO2 emissions why the 19 year pause in warming? Also as Americans are we to spend trillions of dollars to totally transform our culture, economic system, and every aspect of our lives to maybe keep the temperature from raising 1 degree based on highly inaccurate computer models, central planners and socialist politicians who use the fear of climate change to push their political agenda? By volume CO2 only makes up only .004% of the earth’s atmosphere. Planet Earth naturally releases 210 gigatons of CO2 into the atmosphere annually. Man currently causes 8 gigatons of carbon annually about 4% of the natural influx. CO2 is not a pollutant. It is an ingredient for life on earth.
2. The greenhouse effect is well understood. It is as real as gravity. The foundations of the science are more than 150 years old. Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere traps heat. We know carbon dioxide is increasing because we measure it. We know the increase is due to human activities like burning fossil fuels because we can analyze the chemical evidence for that.
2. There is a Greenhouse Effect. It is not catastrophic. Many scientists say that without the “Greenhouse Effect” the Planet would be 59 degrees cooler and engulfed an a Ultra-Ice Age. There is also a Fertilizer Effect. Fossil fuels are formed over hundreds of thousands of years from decayed plants and animals. Fossil Fuels create CO2 which is a needed necessary nutrient that is essential for photosynthesis and plant life. Without Co2 the green world would disappear and so would human life. According to Professor Robert M. Carter, PH.D of Environmental Sciences, James Cook University “For the past few million years, the earth has existed in a state of relative “Carbon Dioxide Starvation” compared with earlier periods. There is no empirical evidence that if levels double or triple those of today will be harmful climatically or otherwise.” It is very possible that higher Co2 levels and mildly higher temperatures would create a thriving planet of plant and animal life.
3. Our climate predictions are coming true. Many observed climate changes, like rising sea level, are occurring at the high end of the predicted changes. Some changes, like melting sea ice, are happening faster than the anticipated worst case. Unless mankind takes strong steps to halt and reverse the rapid global increase of fossil fuel use and the other activities that cause climate change, and does so in a very few years, severe climate change is inevitable. Urgent action is needed if global warming is to be limited to moderate levels.
3. Hundreds of Climate Predictions have not come true. According to former NASA scientist Dr. Roy Spencer 95 percent of climate models predicting global temperature rises have been wrong when analyzed against surface temperature and satellite temperature data. AL Gore has predicted rising sea levels of 20ft by 2100, while the UNs Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has predicted a far less 17 inch rise by 2100. However, Swedish geologist and physicist Dr. Nils-Axel Morner the former chairman of the International Commission on Sea Level Change has called all the talk of rising sea levels a “colossal scare story.” Dr. Morner has been using every known scientific method to study sea levels for the last 35 years. Dr. Morner says the sea has not risen in 50 years. Fossil fuels do not cause rising sea levels, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or snow storms. Fossil fuels help humans adapt to harsh climate with air conditioning, furnaces, housing and food. One fossil fuel powered tractor combine can harvest enough grain in one day to feed thousands of people.
4. The standard skeptical arguments have been refuted many times over. The refutations are on many web sites and in many books. For example, natural climate change like ice ages is irrelevant to the current warming. We know why ice ages come and go. That is due to changes in the Earth’s orbit around the sun, changes that take thousands of years. The warming that is occurring now, over just a few decades, cannot possibly be caused by such slow-acting processes. But it can be caused by man-made changes in the greenhouse effect.
4. Beware of advocates who claim that humans are the main cause of global warming. The most popular argument is the myth of the 97% Consensus that all the scientists agree there is global warming and that human beings are the main cause. Even if this statement were true it has been manipulated from local officials all the way to the White House. They often add the allegation that man made global warming would be a harmful to the environment. The 97% claim says absolutely nothing about magnitude or catastrophe. So beware of anyone who uses this claim and says we must act now and the debate is over. The main 97% claim comes from John Cook who runs the website skepticscience.com. Cook found that over 97% of the papers he hand picked endorsed the opinion that the earth was warming and man was the main cause.(main meaning more than 50%) The problem even John Cook himself can only demonstrate a handful of papers he picked that actually endorse that view. Economist David Friedman publicly challenged the results and upon peer review calculated only 1.6% of the papers stated that man made greenhouse gases caused at least 50% of Global warming. Furthermore, scientists whose papers Cook used have come forward to state Cook misrepresented their findings. The deliberate misuse of this so called “Climate Science” only ensures that our elected leaders will make bad unscientific policy decisions.
5. Science has its own high standards. It does not work by unqualified people making claims on television or the Internet. It works by scientists doing research and publishing it in carefully reviewed research journals. Other scientists examine the research and repeat it and extend it. Valid results are confirmed, and wrong ones are exposed and abandoned. Science is self-correcting. People who are not experts, who are not trained and experienced in this field, who do not do research and publish it following standard scientific practice, are not doing science. When they claim that they are the real experts, they are just plain wrong.
6. The leading scientific organizations of the world, like national academies of science and professional scientific societies, have carefully examined the results of climate science and endorsed these results. It is silly to imagine that thousands of climate scientists worldwide are engaged in a massive conspiracy to fool everybody. The first thing that the world needs to do if it is going to confront the challenge of climate change wisely is to learn about what science has discovered and accept it.
Response to 5 and 6:
5 and 6. Over 30,000 scientists and over 800 from the state of Illinois have signed a petition that man is not the main cause of global warming. The 97% Consensus is a proven myth and does not stand up to the scientific method. Science is real hard data that can be tested and measured and not man made manipulated computer models that have been wrong over 95% of the time. Real Science welcomes debate and doesn’t try to silence it.