By: Diane Benjamin
At every City Council meeting Mayor Renner reads at least one Proclamation, of course signed by him.
Last night it was Gun Violence Awareness Day.
See the proclamation here – PDF Page 13 http://www.cityblm.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=17858
The numbers used weren’t hard to find a source for: https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-by-the-numbers/
This groups tax return shows they advocate for new gun laws. They are also behind the “Wear Orange” day. See their 2015 Tax return here: HERE
The tax return clearly states they support candidates for office who support “common sense measures”, but the return only mentions Democrats.
The Renner document left out the following facts:
- Over 98% of mass shootings happen in “gun free zones.”
- Gun ownership does not correlate with a higher homicide rate.
- Gun bans are ineffective — yes, even the much-touted “gun buyback” program in Australia.
- There’s a correlation between higher gun ownership and fewer mass public shootings.
- Defensive gun use is higher than criminal firearm use.
- The government has failed to protect us time and again.
Instead of spewing platitudes, the real reason for gun violence needs addressed. Tari’s proclamation did nothing to accomplish that.
A good start would be ending “gun free zones”.
Next, start protecting OUR SCHOOLS the same way courts and judges are protected. Since schools are a “gun free zone” with little or no security, they are killing zones.
Also, hold government accountable for background checks. They are already required but government is the one failing to follow the rules. The Texas church shooter should never have acquired a gun. It was their fault his history never made it to the database.