The Town does not own the building. PIN #14-22-327-028. County records state it is owned by Rob and Connie Morger.
The Town does own the green space behind the building. At the last Town Council meeting it was stated staff has invested lots of time in this project. Why? They don’t own it. One more problem, a future tenants of this building may decide to do a bar if this is approved. Nothing will stop that person.
By: Diane Benjamin
I was contacted after the earlier story by the person potentially developing the brewery. I agreed to keep the identity confidential.
First story: https://blnnews.com/2020/06/19/a-brewery-in-a-park/
Facts developer provided, this is intentionally written to not reveal anything about the developer. If it reads a little stiff, that is why:
- Zero distribution is planned
- It would be a nano brewery
- Sales would be on-site only
- The business probably wouldn’t be open every day
- During the day when open it would retail coffee and pastries
- Trucks would only deliver once a week and ship out spent material once a week
- Claims this a family plan
- Developer compared the project to Gill Street – without poker machines or smoking
- Things to occupy kids would be in the green space behind the building within sight of the parents
- The building currently does not have water. Town may offer TIF funds to cover the cost, the developer doesn’t see the project as feasible without Town assistance.
- Claims other area buildings are also complaining about the water because infrastructure goes back to WW1
- Claims the Town steered him to this location but other locations are also being looked at
- Claims this will not be a bar
- Developer would be leasing the property
- The Town of Normal owns the property, developer wanted to buy it – Town refused to sell
- Claimed discussions took place with area locations, Baby Fold is on board
The One Normal Plaza TIF had ZERO dollars at 3/31/2019. That year it only earned a little over $19,000 – not nearly enough to make water improvements. We won’t know 3/31/2020 balance for many months yet: https://files.illinoiscomptroller.gov/LocGovTIF/FY2019/06409531/19TIF06409531One_Normal_Place_1.pdf