By: Diane Benjamin
Since BlnNews has a LOT of new readers, allow me to briefly recap the lawsuit I filed against the City of Bloomington concerning the Coliseum.
- I filed a Freedom of Information request over a year ago for the concession reports from 2014
- I also included a request for payroll records from 2014
- Concession sales are not audited, without the documents there is no proof the City is receiving payment according to the contract.
- Without payroll information, taxpayers have no idea who is profiting from THEIR asset and for how much
- The City denied my request – they allowed the Coliseum Management to answer. They claimed I have no right to THEIR information
- I then filed with the Illinois Attorney General. They investigated the case, but after many months of waiting for them to rule I filed a court case.
- The Coliseum Management contract is being negotiated now for an extension, the issue needs to be resolved before a new contract is signed.
- I have issued a subpoena for City Manager David Hales to appear on February 5th
The City of Bloomington lawyers and the Coliseum lawyers are doing EVERYTHING they can think of to delay the date and/or not release the information I requested.
Yesterday I received a large stack of documents from the Coliseum lawyers. Two motions were included, they expect the judge to hear them on February 2nd, the date the City of Bloomington scheduled a conference for. http://blnnews.com/2016/01/26/abuse-by-the-city-of-bloomington/
That’s not going to happen. CIAM’s (Central Illinois Arena Management) lawyers must give me time to respond, normally 30 days. I will not allow them to derail my lawsuit against the City of Bloomington.
I’m not going to lay out here what my arguments will be. But citizens need to wonder:
Why is the City working hard to hide information?
Why is the Coliseum working even harder to hide information?
If you live in Bloomington, ask your alderman why.
I almost hope the Council is forced by Renner and Hales to vote on a contract extension before my court case is resolved. Any aldermen who vote YES will be proving their total disregard for taxpayers.
Side note: I bet CIAM is charging the Coliseum for the legal expenses being racked up to hide information. That means the taxpayers are footing the bill for them.
I have printed dozens of stories on the Coliseum, if you want more information type Coliseum in the Search Box on Blnnews.com
Anybody notice the people who claim to report news haven’t reported this?