By: Diane Benjamin
The narrative Bloomington wants you to believe is they didn’t know about any malfeasance at the Coliseum by CIAM until VenuWorks took possession of the building.
Forget for a minute that I’d been writing about CIAM since 2013.
VenuWorks took over at the end of March 2016.
This agreement was signed was signed by David Hales on June 29th and Venue Works on July 15th. VenuWorks/City of Bloomington Agreement
Page 13 contains this:
VenuWorks wrote a check to John Butler for $299,999 for the equipment Butler left behind. The agreement has the City paying VenuWork back over 60 months. That’s what the check for $4,999.98 in the post is: https://blnnews.com/2016/09/26/what-is-bloomington-paying-tonight/
I don’t know when the City called in the State Police, but does it make sense that they knew problems existed during John Butler’s Coliseum Management, but they had VenuWorks write him a big check anyway?
I doubt VenuWorks wrote the check without knowing the City was going to pay them back. Anybody find it strange that a City with Revenue projected over $200,000,000 couldn’t write their own check?
This tells me one or more of the following is true:
- When VenuWorks paid Butler nobody knew any problems existed
- Hales rushed the VenuWorks payment to Butler for some unknown purpose
- The old Coliseum Management was under investigation by the State Police, but Butler got paid anyway
- Why was a big check written to Butler when an investigation was underway?
- Was the investigation NOT really underway as the City claims?
- Why was the check written before the Council approved the agreement on June 27th?
- The Pantagraph reported the sale pf equipment to Butler on April 4th – why does the agreement reflect June-July?
- Is this more proof the Council is immaterial?
Somebody needs to explain what they knew and when they knew it.
Renner/Hales couldn’t have been stupid enough to write a big check if the problems were bad enough to call in the State Police, Right?
Notice nothing is being said about the State Police investigation? Is it still going on? (crickets)