By: Diane Benjamin
People claiming to be victims of Justin Barr are in MANY counties. My website has been blowing up with reads.
Too many people are reporting their sheriff or police refuse to take a complaint. Some State’s Attorneys think the cases should be civil. If you are not in McLean County and can’t get your State’s Attorney to act, file a complaint with the Attorney General’s office:
Since there are so many cases in many counties, this office might be the best place.
I can tell you the McLean County State’s Attorney is looking at cases. I’m not going to give any more details than that yet.
Justin Barr got bailed out of jail in Will County yesterday after telling the court he couldn’t afford it and begging for a bail reduction. The reduction was denied.
He suddenly found more than $30,000. I hear one of his victims there was a retired police officer. (nobody claims he is intelligent)
How can you keep from getting ripped off? Besides the obvious guy to never hire:
- Ask to see their license for the work you want done.
- If they want money to buy materials, write the check and mail it to the materials company, not them.
- Never pay them in advance
- Search their name and business name on the internet – and not just the first page that comes up.
- Enter their name and business name on the McLean County website to see if they have a criminal record or civil record of being sued: https://www.mcleancountyil.gov/137/Public-Access-Search-System
If you have any other suggestions, let me know.