By: Diane Benjamin
I bet you didn’t click on the links in the first story: https://blnnews.com/2019/09/03/another-questionable-lease-in-normal/
You missed a gem that tells what to expect in the near future concerning the ISU Art Gallery in Uptown. It is in this document on page 2: Original rent November 4, 2013
- The Town charged the parking garage and retail space to the taxpayer’s credit card
- The Town spent $1.9 million finishing the space just for ISU
- ISU has been in the building for 5 years and only reimbursed the Town plus 4%
- The original plan was to give them the space rent free forever
- Taxpayers will receive nothing for their investment
- The Town and other units of government (like Unit 5) receive no property taxes
- This prime retail space will add no taxes that can help pay off the Uptown debt
Don’t forget, ISU has a new location at the airport too: https://blnnews.com/2019/08/29/art-gallery-opens-at-the-airport-today/
This space used to be rented as a gift shop. Instead of decreasing the rent to keep a tax and rent paying business, the airport gave ISU a free lease.
ISU isn’t listed among the top 25 art schools: https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-art/
ISU isn’t listed in the top 100 in the world either: https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/art-design#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
The University of Illinois is though.
Normal taxpayers: Ever feel like everybody comes before you?