By: Diane Benjamin
The First Earth Day was in 1970. One of the organizers was a now convicted murder Ira Einhorn, but I digress. Below are what they predicted: (Don’t miss 11 and 13)
Behold the coming apocalypse as predicted on and around Earth Day, 1970:
- “Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.” — Harvard biologist George Wald
- “We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation.” — Washington University biologist Barry Commoner
- “Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.” — New York Times editorial
- “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.” — Stanford University biologist Paul Ehrlich
- “Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born… [By 1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”— Paul Ehrlich
- “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” — Denis Hayes, Chief organizer for Earth Day
- “Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions…. By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.” — North Texas State University professor Peter Gunter
- “In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution… by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half.” — Life magazine
- “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.” — Ecologist Kenneth Watt
- “Air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.”— Paul Ehrlich
- “By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate… that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, ‘Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, ‘I am very sorry, there isn’t any.'” — Ecologist Kenneth Watt
- “[One] theory assumes that the earth’s cloud cover will continue to thicken as more dust, fumes, and water vapor are belched into the atmosphere by industrial smokestacks and jet planes. Screened from the sun’s heat, the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born.” — Newsweek magazine
- “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.” — Kenneth Watt
Can we now call the people stupid who fell for 1-13 in 1970? Maybe Idiots?
Maybe this is the guy we should have believed:
Check the local bird-cage liner:
Ameren customers face hike; nuke plant to benefit
Yes friends, your electricity rates will have to necessarily skyrocket. Pres said so. With his phone and his pen he told the EPA to make it so. Illinois decided 25% of all power had to come from “green” sources. Hence taxpayers are gifted with subsidized wind turbines making expensive electricity. No wind isn’t free. Solar isn’t free – especially when bankruptcy occurs from installing it – but hey, there is a grant for that! Redistribution of wealth!
Did you notice both Bloomington and Normal signed contracts buying “green” electricity for aggregation? Stick your finger in a light socket and so if it glows green. It doesn’t? Hum. Funny how there is no difference between electricity produced cheaply so citizens can afford it, and electricity produced under EXPENSIVE methods the citizens can’t afford.
In 1970 many were expected to freeze to death by 1990. Those left would be gone by 2000. Illinois would once again be covered by a glacier.
Nobody has ever explained why the last one melted, but now the same clowns say global warming is a problem.
What happened to spring? I’d take some warming!
Again, I digress.
45 years ago the “experts” were wrong.
Today the “experts” are just lying.
Are you still falling for it? Why is government allowed to destroy the middle class with high energy rates because they want to?
Better question, what are you going to do about it?
I wonder how many farmers have checked to see if liens have been placed on their land? Google it.