By: Diane Benjamin
Every municipality is required by law to have an ethics ordinance, Normal doesn’t have one. Details in this story: https://blnnews.com/2017/01/31/ethics-law-everybody-ignores/
Of course, in Illinois laws are immaterial.
Last night Normal held a Special Meeting to accuse Stan Nord of disrespecting Pam Reece because he stands up for citizens. Unfortunately Stan has no support on the Council because the other elected trustees fall in line with staff instead of the citizens paying the bills.
Kevin McCarthy thinks Stan Nord lacks ethics, he must think his ethics can’t be questioned for pretending to be a doctor: https://blnnews.com/2021/03/18/kevin-mccarthy-know-about-the-way-back-machine/
I’ve written numerous stories about questionable items brought to the council. Is Pam Reece claiming she isn’t responsible for the agenda?
Remember Normal paying property taxes they didn’t owe?
Remember the Ft Jesse property that was sold to an employees wife?
Remember the $100 a month lease for the Linden St property?
Remember the Council demand more than a year ago that something is done about the rent for the second floor of 1 Uptown Circle where nothing has been done?
This list could be MUCH longer, but long time readers already know the facts.
This meeting was nothing more than “shut up Stan”. Koos went around the in-person meeting allowing every trustee to attack Stan. Karyn Smith even accused Stan of sexism. She also thinks Stan should seek the support of other council members. Karyn: The rest of you don’t care about doing anything except what you are told. You do not work for citizens. You even accused Stan of playing politics, sure standing up for citizens is politics.
Attorney Brian Day wouldn’t have a job if he didn’t support Pam Reece’s and Chris Koos’ agenda. His comments are not only wrong they are immaterial. I heard consultant Lyle Sumek lost his job for having opinions.
The only reason this meeting took place is because the new Council was empowered by the election. They feel Stan Nord can be marginalized since none of the Stan supporters were elected.
Stan Nord’s response summary:
- Nobody produced any proof, make the emails in question public
- Accusations of sexism are flat out wrong
- He talked to vendors AFTER the vote, he found local vendors bid less but Council wasn’t informed
- One Normal Plaza – residents reached out to him. Planning Commission member Mike Matejka was at a meeting, Stan wasn’t supposed to talk to him?
- ONP Residents didn’t want council members to speak, they all could have attended if they didn’t speak. Koos broke that rule
- Citizens Summit – Town did want to limit attendees to a few per trustee. This article proves Koos planned to ignore those who weren’t invited: https://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/in-step-or-out-of-line-normal-council-wants-to-know/article_deebde5c-33be-5c08-bd94-828984d434bf.html
- Pam Reece claims Stan sent 9 emails in one week, Stan checked his email. He sent 7, one was forwarding a question from a citizen – only 3 were addressed to Pam, some repeated questions that she failed to answer previously.
- Normal does not have an ethics policy, he named other municipalities that do.
- Ethics isn’t defined therefore what some of the Council considers ethics violations others don’t.
Normal’s ethics policy can be summed up this way:
Vote yes and don’t question staff.
Six members of the Council thinks the “professional staff” can’t be questioned. Staff never make mistakes when they obviously have. Quit playing holier than thou and tensions would ease substantially. Yes, some residents have bad water and the roads suck. Build a ridiculously priced underpass anyway.
Watch this attack on the only person standing up for citizens yourself. It’s despicable and definitely not over.
Please note: The “professional staff” dated the video incorrectly. In case they quickly fix it, here’s a screen shot: